Community Climate System Model (CCSM) version 3.0 installation.
We have installed and run the CCSM3 on the IARC computer "chena", that is an SMP computer with 4 dual-core AMD Opteron processors, operated by the Debian Linux (Belchansky et al, 2006). This manual summarizes the discussions in the CCSM3 and PGI user forums and lists the procedures, neccessary to run the CCSM3 on the "chena"-like systems, serving as an addendum to the CCSM3 manuals.
- Installing the libraries and utilities, required by the CCSM:
- NetCDF library and utilities version 3.6.0p1 (Unidata).
- Message Passing Interface implementation MPICH-2 version 1.0.3 (Argonne National Laboratory).
- Resource manager Torque version 2.0.0p7 and task scheduler Maui version 3.2.6p14 (Cluster Resources).
- The following environment variables were set pointing to the directories with headers and library files of the installed MPI and NetCDF
These variables aren't mentioned in the CCSM 3.0 documentation, they appear only in the model compilation scripts. The PGI compiler gets the empty -I switch unless they are set, and returns the error "Value required for command line switch: -idir".
- The system semaphores were increased with adding the following line to the /etc/sysctl.conf
kernel/sem = 250 32000 100 384
- New machine support scripts were added to the model source code as described in the documentation. The .run script must contain the command limit stacksize unlimited in its beginning, to prevent sigsegv(11) runtime errors.
- Modifications to the CCSM3 source code.
CAM, file cam.F90, line 101:
was moved AFTER
CLM, file program_csm.F90, line 165:
call shr_msg_stdio ('lnd')
was moved AFTER calls of MPI setup.
The changes above make the model to satisfy the requirements of the MPICH documentation recommending doing as less as possible before calls to MPI_INIT, particularly, avoiding opening files and changing the working directories.
Belchansky, G. I., Eremeev V.A., Kozlenko N.N., Mordvintsev I.N., Platonov N.G., and Alexeev V.A. (2006) Study of uncertainty of sea ice albedo in the Arctic in observations and modeling, IARC final project report.